Game Notes — January, 8th
- 4 mths after ending of spider-queen affair
– Chuck has eyes have been opened up to the wider world so he’s processing that and the idea he may not be entirely (or even a bit) normal … but … gotta keep closing those deals
– Dondarion has ramped up his investigations and rooted out several evils while tending to his flock
– Winter is now upon the city
The Maid invades Grimes consciousness to summon him to her court in the nether area accessible in the dark tunnels of the old Detroit subway station
– Delivered with her unique style of condescension, brusqueness, and general indifference (but never irony) the Maid informs Grimes that there have been disturbing dark magic’s in her playground and he was to fix this
– When asking for more information he is hit with a torrent of images, sounds, etc. to sort out when he recovers
Father Dondarion receives a text message from his mentor, Father Adrian, to meet him at a park in Adrian’s neighbourhood without being followed and without telling anyone
– An increasingly agitated Dondarion waits for 45 minutes in a growing snowstorm and not even beating up a drug-dealer can lift his spirits as he heads back to his parish wondering what happened to his mentor who is generally mysterious but usually polite about it
- With a big deal threatened to fall thru due beaucratic crap and no electricians willing to brave the blizzardy night, Chuck heads out an abandoned mansion in the suburbs to deal with an supposed inspection oversight
– When there, senses something like a smell but isn’t quite that leads him down into the dark, partially-finished basement where he encounters an almost imperceptible sound that is still, to his ears, clearly that of a person in anguish
– Following the sound leads Chuck to a what appears to be an earthen wall where without really knowing why he begins to dig/almost-claw into it with his hands to get at the sound
– Surprisingly this reveals not only a full door, but that the earth wall appearance was only an illusion that has dropped itself somehow due to his instinctual? actions
– Inside Chuck finds a bruised and cut man in tattered clothes huddled in a corner moaning in pain and muttering nonsense in fear. The broken man, Michael, has signs of belonging to Father Dondarion’s order.
- Opon his return to his parish, Father Dondarion, is told that two of his special order are awaiting him in his office. There he finds Father Reynard (somewhat senior in the knights) and Father Vincenzo (unknown to him). Father Reynard tells him that the Knights are growing complacent and corrupt and there needs to be a leadership change. A group of bold members have organized in secret and mean to enact that change and they want him to join them.
– Father Dondarion agrees to meet the groups mysterious leader at an undisclosured location and the 3 of them leave in a car driven by a rather large “chaffeur”.
– Reynard and Vincenzo remain tight-lipped about where they are going, details of the group, or what they will do when they get to their destination
– Father Dondarion’s night grows even more strange and worrying when Chuck calls him and tells him about finding Michael and asking whether Father Dondarion knows him. Dondario does not know Michael but has heard of his recruitment into the knights and that he is an impressive and steadfastly dedicated member.
– The ride grows more and more uncomfortable, the two seem very interested in Dondarion’s mentor’s whereabouts, until they arrive at an abandoned mansion in the wealthy suburbs of Detroit. The same house that Chuck happens to be at.
– With a combination of mystical soul searching, google earth, and a giant bottle of extra strength tylenol, Grimes decodes the message from the Maid and grabs a cab out ot the wealthy suburbs in the gathering blizzard.
– After being ripped off by a particularly unscrupulous cabby, Grimes is dropped at the end of the laneway for the abandoned mansion.
– Half-way down the drive, he is met a large, rough-looking character in a suit who flatly tells Grimes that he has the wrong address and needs to turn around now. Attempts at conversation go nowhere fast and Grimes decides that he better try the stealth approach, so he heads back up the street and circles around to the back when the goon has headed back down the driveway
– Upon hearing the car carrying Father Dondarion and the 3 other mystery men arrive and realizing the way to his car is blocked, Chuck rushed Michael upstairs into one of the bedrooms to hide.
– Having some more time to speak with and examine Michael, Chuck learned that Michael had been likely captive for weeks and possibly used in strange rituals. However, for certain, and repeatedly he had been subjected to some strange powers or techniques that caused him to experience unbearable levels of negative emotions — fear, hate, etc. — by some of his captors ( “the pretty ones” ) that seem to greatly enjoy it. Although Michael had some cuts and bruises, it is this pyschological torture that has seemd to cause most the damage.
– While Chuck hid upstairs and Grimes circled around to the back of the house, Father Dondarion waits with the 3 others in the spacious living room at the bottom of the stairs that Chuck fled up.
– Dondarion continues to attempt to squeeze out more information but, if anything, Reynard and Vincenzo, have become even more tight-lipped after they hear the master will be longer than expected due to the blizzard.
– The bodyguard is sent out to speak with Grimes’ in the driveway and Dondarion intently watches Vincenzo at the window who will give the signal to either kill the unwanted guest or let him leave alive. Luckily Grimes, is nothing if unthreatening and the decision is to let him leave without arousing suscipion.
– After passing some unseen texts back-and-forth, Father Dondarion and Chuck, agree to meet in the washroom upstairs and Dondarion excuses himself.
– The two discuss the strange and dangerous situation as well as how to escape it for as long as they’re able before Dondarion will be missed downstairs. When Dondarion prepares to leave his subconcious finally figures out what has been bothering him the whole conversation — Chuck’s shadow does not match what the light-sources should be creating. When he points this out, the shadow changes shape and flees out the room. The two have been discovered.
- Once burned, twice shy they say and when you’re been burned as many times as Grimes, you’re very cautious – Grimes discovers a nasty ward placed on the backdoor. After dispelling it and avoiding becoming a withered husk, he races the front and upstairs just after the two fathers and the goon have been informed by the shadow and they are heading upstairs to deal with Dondarion’s unexpected guests.
A quick but deadly combat ensues full of exciting moments:
– The father’s being to sling all manner of nasty spells including withering black tentacles
- Chuck scares away the goon with just the force of his glare (the power-tie probably helped)
– Dondarion is blinded and choked by the shadow’s form engulfing his head and then stabbed in the gut by the Father Reynard wicked-looking curved, glowing dagger
– Dondarion channels the fury of god before falling unconscious and blasts the shadow off his head and into the night.
– Grimes counter-spells a big blast from Father Reynard and turns it back on him, incapacitating him
Where we left off:
- Group is still upstairs in the moments after the last attacker went down or fled — the two fathers are incapicitated, the shadow’s condition is unknown, and the goon fled down the stairs about 30 seconds ago.
- Group has heard the sound of several large cars / suvs coming down the laneway — could this be the long promised arrival of the mysterious master?
- Father Dondarion has a moderate consequence knife wound in his stomach — deep but missed vital organs. he will awaken quickly but needs to keep pressure on and will be bothered by the pain for a session.
- Chuck as a moderate consequence bullet wound in his shoulder — passed straight threw but his left arm will be difficult to use for a session.
- Grimes is very annoyed by the whole situation, including the $30 he paid to come out here
- Michael is rapidly alternating between muttering panic and frozen in terror